habit of reading books | 7 Tips for Building a Reading Habit


Hey, how's it going, guys?

About how to read more books.

habit of reading books

Maybe you have, and maybe you've integrated some of those tips into your life, which have helped you get your reading speed higher and higher, maybe even up to that generally accepted cap of 400 to 500 words per minute.

And yet, you haven't filled in the other part of the equation, which is building a consistent reading habit. So this Article is all about how to do that.

I've got seven specific tips that will help you become a more consistent reader.

1.

So in my experience, the most important thing you can do to read more consistently is to have a certain number of pages you're going to read every single day, and to turn it into a habit.

I was actually out in Colorado a couple of weeks ago on a ski trip with a few friends, and we were in the Airing one day after skiing ended and I remember my friends Matt and Ben were talking about books they'd read recently, and both of them are entrepreneurs so they're really busy, and yet they had all this time to read all these books, and I was asking like, dude, how do you guys find so much time to read when you feel like you've got all these things to do?

And Matt told me, dude, I just wake up every morning and I have my coffee, and I read 25 pages. And after four days that's 100 pages, after 40 days it's 1,000 pages.

It really adds up over time, and it works better than goals like saying I'm gonna read one book a month or two books a month, because then it's really easy to justify pushing all your reading off later into the month because you've got a lot of work to do right now.

2 & 3

Tips two and three, I'm gonna group these two together because they have to do with how you schedule your reading time.

Now, personally I know the later that it gets in the day, the less likely it is for me to read. My motivation starts stowage and other things start to take up my attention, so I try to schedule my reading time very early in the morning.

But, tip number three here, I do it after exercise. And that's because the book I'm reading right now, which is called Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain, talks a lot about how exercise primes your brain for learning.

Exercise balances the levels of chemicals in your brain known as neurotransmitters, which in turn improve your ability to pay attention and prime your brain to more efficiently absorb and remember new information.

And I take advantage of this by going to the gym first thing in the morning, and then doing my reading.

4

Is to do whatever you can to make the process of reading as enjoyable as possible because from what I've learned about how motivation is affected by the rewards of tasks, rewards can really be split into two different categories.

1.  The reward you get at the end of the task, whatever the result of the task is, but

2. The enjoyment you get from doing the task itself. So personally I go to a coffee shop and I get a latte and I read while I have those things with me and that makes the process much more enjoyable than trying to do it at home.

5 .

Now if you've chosen to read after exercise, your ability to pay attention and inhibit distraction sis at it's peak, but you do wanna cut out as many distractions as possible just to give yourself the best possible chance for focusing on your reading until you're done. So, for me that means turning my phone onto do not disturb mode, and packing it away in this bag here, everything goes in this bag and it goes down by my feet. Everything is off the table except for the book when I'm reading so it's just focused interaction with the book and nothing else. Now, distractions are one of the biggest things that can derail your ability to get your reading done, but there are certainly others.

6

So tip number six is to anticipate and remove as many barriers to your success as possible. For me that means making sure my bag is packed every single night before I go to bed, and making sure the book is in there, and also making sure I have everything I need, like my book flags for making notes and highlights, and my headphones just in case the coffee shop is noisy. Basically, I want to anticipate anything that could give my brain an excuse to not read, and cut it out.

7.

Number seven is to externalize your motivation, and sort of take the choice of reading out of your hands by making yourself accountable to somebody else. Now I do this in a couple different ways. Number one is I have told my roommate Martin, who reads way more books than me, that if I do not read 25 pages a day every single day for at least the next three months, I will pay him $100. So if I skip even one day, I'm gonna lose out on a lot of money. And secondly, I have made a public page on my website where I will be updating my progress every single day in an embedded Google spreadsheet, so every day I have to record how many pages I read, and anybody can see that and call me out if I don't.

habit of reading books

you can leave a comment down below.

Thanks for Read.

change your habits change your life

changing your habits

30 days change your habits pdf

change your habits change your life pdf

change your habits change your life pdf download

change your habits change your life quotes

change your habits change your life summary

change your habits change your life free

change your habits change your future

30 days change your habits review

1 Comments



  1. How many times have you wondered if there was an easier way to get cash back on your purchases? Maybe you are wondering how you would get all the things done on your daily to-do list, maybe that’s why you’re reading this article. Fortunately, there are a few ways to make this happen and make it easy for you to get cash back near me on things you already buy, such as groceries and gas.
    Cash backnear me

    ReplyDelete
Previous Post Next Post